What is Professional Advising?
Want to stay on top of your academic game?
Behind in your reading?
Trouble writing exams?
Want better marks?
- Coaching you in different study skills and techniques for learning
- Encouraging you as you experiment with new approaches
- Guiding you through the University regulations
- Connecting you with other learning resources
To Book An Appointment
For free individual Professional Advising, students can make an appointment in person on the main floor of Stauffer Library, or by calling 613-533-6315. Consults are available Monday to Friday, 9am-4pm.
Wait time for an advising appointment may be 1-3 weeks, or longer during mid-term and final exams.
How To Prepare For An Advising Appointment
Time is most effectively used if the student identifies a problem area to discuss. Faculty, staff or TAs may help to clarify the concern.
Here are two ways you can prepare for an advising appointment:
- complete the Study Skills and Habits Questionnaire
- ask yourself this series of questions to prepare for your first advising appointment
About Advising Appointments
Appointments are about 50 minutes long. All advising appointments are confidential, and no information will be shared unless the student gives specific permission to do so. Referrals are not required.