Peer Learning Assistants
NOW HIRING for 2017-2018!
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO SUN. FEB. 12th!
The job description, qualifications, and application form are available online through MyCareer; search for a position entitled “Peer Learning Assistant- Student Affairs.” You can find more details about the application process through Student Affairs – Volunteer Recruitment.
To apply, please print off a cover letter, resume and a completed Peer Learning Assistant Application Form 2017 with typed responses (Download form, fill in all fields, Save As… “LAST NAME,FIRST NAME – PLA Application 2017,” print a copy), and submit them to Felicia Yong in Stauffer 143.
In addition, please email a copy of these three documents to email@example.com.
Applications are due on Sun. Feb 12th at midnight.
Our programs would not be possible without the generosity, enthusiasm and commitment of our student volunteers. Known as Peer Learning Assistants (PLAs), these students promote learning strategies on campus through workshops, one-on-one coaching and promotional activities.
“Not only do we get that feeling of satisfaction when we help someone, but we also help ourselves by using the techniques we teach. It’s a win-win!” – PLA, 2012
We recruit in January for undergraduate students of all faculties and years to begin their work with the program the following September. Interviews generally occur in March.
I can honestly say that being a PLA was by far my favourite extra curricular experience at Queen’s! – PLA, 2015
Why Volunteer With Us?
- You will be trained extensively in many learning strategies (e.g. Time Management, Effective Studying, Exam Preparation, Note-making, Reading and Retention, Focus and Concentration).
- You will learn how to plan and deliver workshops to Queen’s students.
- You will learn about and practice group facilitation skills and presentation skills.
- You will meet other fantastic students and enjoy leadership and student development opportunities.
- You feel rewarded in your work with first year students and International students.
- References and ongoing support are provided.