Writing Personal Statements: An excellent site dedicated to helping you craft a professional and effective personal statement.
MLA Handbook FAQ: Corrections and additions to the 7th print edition of the MLA Handbook.
ASA Style Guide: Brief guide to citations and references for Sociology papers.
APA Style Guide: On-line guide to referencing and formatting in APA style.
Chicago Manual of Style: Quick guide to documentation according to the Chicago Manual of Style.
Paradigm Online Writing Assistant: Guide to writing, composition, rhetoric, editing, and style.
World Wide Words: Michael Quinion’s language pages include articles, the word hoard, newsworthy words, and usage notes.
The University of Victoria’s Hypertext Writer’s Guide: Prepared by the English Department at the University of Victoria.
http://www.askoxford.com/: Oxford’s free online dictionary
Online English Grammar:Maintained by the Hampstead School of English
Seventy useful sentences for academic writing: Compiled by Luiz Otávio Barros
Just for fun: entertaining or thought-provoking links about writing:
Some classic tips for writing letters or emails, from the BBC.
A rap video from University of Alberta students about plagiarism.
Learning Strategies can help students with ‘learning how to learn’, but there are other resources on campus to help students with tutoring in certain academic disciplines. Visit our Subject-specific Academic Support Resource Guide to learn what is available to you, or check out this quick list of academic peer tutoring services:
ASUS Peer Tutoring
- ASUS Peer Tutoring, formerly known as Mindfind, is a new and improved service that partners upper year tutors with those looking for a tutor in a variety of Arts and Science courses.
- To sign up, please visit the online matching system at queensasus.com/tutoring
- If you have other questions about the program, email the co-directors at email@example.com
Chemistry Help Desk and tutors:
Faculty of Engineering
- ENGLINKS is a service run by the Engineering Society at Queen’s that matches upper year tutors to students in any year. http://engsoc.queensu.ca/academics/englinks/ or for more information contact Jillian Reid at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Douglas Tutorials are an optional free service to help you through first year. It is a service meant to cater to your needs providing for additional academic assistance. It is a service run by students. http://my.engineering.queensu.ca/Current-Students/First-Year-Studies/DouglasTutorials.html
Math and Statistics
- Help and Study Centre: http://www.mast.queensu.ca/ – pdf. of schedule found on left sidebar
- Tutors: http://www.mast.queensu.ca/tutors/
Computer Science (COMPSA)
- BrainTrust: Queen’s Commerce Society offers BrainTrust, a peer tutoring service for first and second year students. Individual tutoring and exam review are available: http://braintrust.comsoc.ca/
- Peer Assistance Program: Your Biochem DSC brings you the Biochemistry Peer Assistance Program, where you get advice tailored to you from people who have been in your shoes and understand the demands of our program: http://dbms.queensu.ca/undergraduate/biochemistry/student_council/peer_assistance_program
Phys Ed and Kinesiology Student Association
- PHEKSA provides a tutor matching service for extra help in any class. http://www.queensu.ca/skhs/undergraduate/student-associations/pheksa