ESL GRAMMAR EXERCISES
Practice Exercises for Three Common ESL Grammar Problems
Count and Non-Count Nouns and Articles
Present Perfect vs. Simple Past
Fill in the blanks.
Libraries today are different from those in the 1800s. For example, the contents of libraries (change)____________________________greatly through the years. In the 1800s, libraries (be)_______________________________simply collections of books. However, today most libraries (become)________________________multimedia centres that contain tapes, computers, disks, films, magazines, music, and paintings. The role of the library in society(change, also) _______________________. In the 1800s, libraries (be)_______________open only to certain people, such as scholars or the wealthy. Today libraries serve everyone.
For an overview of verb tenses, check out Chapters 1-4 of Azar. Also see: Simple Past, page 26, and Present Perfect, pages 36 to 41.
Practice with Prepositional Phrases
Identify the prepositional phrase:
1. Beetles destroyed the corn in the field.
2. The police officer cleared traffic from the intersection.
3. I parked my tiny car in my huge garage.
4. Trees fell during the Ice Storm of 1997.
5. Students depend on buses and bicycles for transportation.
6. We walked to White Mountain and ate ice cream yesterday.
Information on Prepositions and Prepositional Phrases can be found in the Supplementary Grammar Units section (A3) of Azar. Also note the Preposition Combinations chart on page A21.