Student Academic Success Services is hiring volunteers for 2018-19!
We are always looking for enthusiastic students to volunteer with our peer programs!
Peer Learning Assistants (PLAs) help students learn how to be more productive and effective learners by facilitating learning strategies workshops and providing drop-in academic coaching.
You might make a great PLA if …
- You are passionate about teaching and learning!
- You are willing to enhance your public speaking skills!
- You’d like to be part of a community of like-minded students and staff!
- You want to improve your grades and study habits!
Peer Writing Assistants (PWAs) volunteer at the Writing Centre to help other students develop their writing skills through workshops and one-on-one consultations.
You might make a great PWA if …
- You want to provide personalized, one-on-one writing support!
- You want to strengthen your own writing, editing, and communication skills!
- You want to belong to a fun team of people from diverse faculties and backgrounds!
- You intend to pursue an academic, communications, or teaching career!
How can I apply?
Peer Learning Assistants
Peer Learning Assistant (PLA) volunteers work with the Program Coordinator to prepare and deliver workshops to undergraduate students with the aim of enhancing students’ academic success and helping them learn how to learn at the university level. You’ll deliver workshops and drop-in coaching sessions on topics such as reading, time management, avoiding procrastination and basic writing strategies. You’ll be amazed at how much you can contribute to students’ academic success as a part of the program!
Peer Writing Assistants
Peer Writing Assistants (PWAs) are skilled upper-year and graduate student volunteers from any discipline who enjoy helping others become better writers. They provide a vital component of our program, extending the service the Centre offers. PWAs are trained to work on-on-one with first and second-year students looking for writing support. They help with clarifying the terms of the assignment, brainstorming, pre-writing and structuring, providing feedback, and directing students to the resources they need to produce good papers. For many students, this service makes a significant difference in their academic performance and confidence.