Use this guide to edit your writing for grammar and sentence-level concerns. Click on linked text for resources on grammar and writing topics.
See the checklist method in action (YouTube playlist).
- Is there a clear take-away message? Consider the purpose or function of the sentence / paragraph.
- Can I identify the grammatical subject and verb of the sentence?
- Are there any unclear modifiers? Consider the placement of words, phrases, and clauses and their connection to the sentence’s main action.
- Have I avoided vague pronouns?
- Are there opportunities to eliminate wordiness?
- Am I using conventional academic phrases to communicate ideas?
- Do I show concision with scope markers, like geography and time words, and a balance of hedging and boosting?
- Have I avoided weak or value-laden language?
- Did I use idioms, clichés, similes, metaphors, or other rhetorical devices? Are these the choices I want to make?